Puppy Mentors are vital in the development of a Service Dog and our Mission. Puppy Mentors raise a Service Dog in Training (SDiT) for up to two years, helping them grow and achieve their ultimate goal by giving back to our First Responder community.
What is required to be a FRK9 Puppy Mentor?
* A passion for supporting First Responders
* Ability to provide a safe, stable, and loving environment
* Love for dogs
* Attend 1-2 hours of training classes per week, to include outings
* Track progress and submit monthly reports
* Have a work / living arrangement suitable to bring Service Dog in Training everywhere
* Outings for training and socialization is 3 – 5 outings a week.
How to know you’d make a great Puppy Mentor:
* You have a strong desire to give back in a big way
* You know or want to learn the true impact dogs have
* Can commit yourself for a period of 6months - 2 years
What's the process for becoming a Puppy Mentor?
* Complete Puppy Mentor Application
* Panel Interview
* Home Check
* Orientation / Training
(ACCEPTING NEW APPLICANTS UNTIL APRIL 30)
Puppy Sitters are there to help our Puppy Mentors when they need a hand! We are looking for dedicated volunteers who would be able to house a Service Dog in Training on weekdays and weekends. Puppy Sitters are encouraged to attend weekly puppy trainings, but it's not required. Those that attend trainings will be permitted to take the Service Dog in Training on outings while in their care.
* Please complete the General Volunteer Application
There's always so much to do, we can always use extra hands!
Ideas of extra help:
* Social Media
* Graphic Design
* Website Support
* Office / Admin Support
* Special Event Preparation
* Dog Transportation
* Community Outreach